Monday, August 18, 2008

Connecting with Nature

I remember as a kid, papa would sometimes stop the car at a particular intersection-island near our home (one of those triangles that we see at signals for pedestrians) and buy me daana to offer to the birds. I would be scared at first but as I threw the grain on ground, birds mostly pigeons would come out of nowhere, neatly land and much to my relief without hurting me, would quickly consume all that was offered. They say it's a good deed to feed birds, but back then I was oblivious to this. I would only be amazed by the huge number that would descend, each taking in one daana at a time in it's little beak. In a minute or two they would clean up the whole place and would look around, as if waiting for some more that might be in the offing, their throats still moving trying to digest what all they had gorged. And then suddenly they would all take off, scattering themselves happily in the sky. At this point I would realize the pleasure and the freshness that spread within me.

All this was long forgotten until one recent vacation when I came back home, maa told me we have started putting daana to pigeons on our building's roof. At that time I could faintly recall my childhood experience. I decided I would bring them their breakfast the next morning, but could not manage to wake up on time. The entire vacation passed and I completely forgot about my resolution.

I have again come home for a few days, and today, although wanting to sleep till late, somehow got up early. I was looking for something to do, turned on the computer, and just as I was settling down in my chair, a whiff of fresh air made it's way through the window and hit me. I could not resist going out on the terrace. I appreciated the potted plants with beautiful flowers lovingly nurtured by maa. I then decided to go on the roof to have the city's view. I climbed up and as I was observing the city's skyline, I saw some pigeons come one by one, and perch on the roof's ledge. It then occurred to me that these hungry creatures were mistaking me for papa, who had yet not returned from his morning walk to feed them. The daana container, a tightly sealed jar, was on the roof itself. I opened it unsure of how to go about it. I took out some daana in my hand, and threw it on the floor. The pigeons that were waiting hopped down from the ledge and started eating it. I threw some more and then some more.. and then all of the sudden the whole sky above me seemed to be filled with the pigeons.. This blue blanket was soon on the floor, busy juggling the grains in their beaks, competing with each other and so unmindful of my presence. Or maybe they just did not consider me a threat. So there I was, standing so close to them, mesmerized by what I saw. I had never imagined that these little birds would make such a fascinating sight. And the childhood memories rushed back, reminding me of the same delight I felt then.

I guess nothing is more serene and beautiful than watching the nature's less privileged creations living with equal zest and determination as we humans do. And this experience is certainly an humbling one.

9 comments:

Pankaj said...

well, i dnt knw why an Ass like me is privileged to got a chance to read wonderful blog... but what can i say about myself ;) . There are very people who are very closely connected to things happens around them , Ashish is one of those people and the quality that makes him stand apart from others is his expressing ability . He can express the things so well he can make u visualize the whole scenario. He has done this again in the blog, extremely well written thoughts about his childhood and triangle scene.
"The blue blanket was soon on the floor, busy juggling the grains in their beaks, competing with each other and so unmindful of my presence." the words describes his expressing powers as an author.. really gud work dude.. keep it up..

SanD said...

well again very true expression of one's feeling in your words....
i have met very few people with such good expressing capabilities...
this even reminds me of my childhood and the activities thereof..
hope i am able to write something about it sooner, than later.

Abhinav Sharma said...

Gud work Ashu ,nice way to express your feeling.I like the way to complete this blog , realy gud work bro , i think u shuld be in different
industry , just like u say me ki abu become like tht person _ _ _ _ u tht wat i m talking abt!!:),but jokes apart
realy loved ur blog .keep it up !!!!!

Anonymous said...

really nice work dude, it made me thinking so much that can we really observe the vastness of the small things, the small pleasures in life .....

swati said...

simply awesme ... thatzz all wht i can say ....

Unknown said...

now that i have read all these I realize that i have nothing left to teach you...........

saawdhan: It's your voice said...

Jabardast Beta ..it's amazing..tum sab to yahan per bhi bond nikle

saawdhan: It's your voice said...

Hi ashish ....It's great to see that you read the crap i wrote. [:)] Thanx for accompanying me here. By d way ......be in touch on the blogger.
This is better than orkut.

8:11 PM

Devika Singh said...

Lovely !!! ..
Beautiful description.